Warning: Declaration of YOOtheme\Theme\Wordpress\MenuWalker::walk($elements, $max_depth) should be compatible with Walker::walk($elements, $max_depth, ...$args) in /home/customer/www/lawapj.com/public_html/wp-content/themes/yootheme/vendor/yootheme/theme/platforms/wordpress/src/Wordpress/MenuWalker.php on line 112

Author: Andrew P. Johnson

Immigration lawyer Andrew P Johnson is a prominent advocate within the immigration community and is regularly interviewed by major press organizations and invited to speak at diplomatic events regarding immigration law. The Law Offices of Andrew P Johnson represents corporations, diplomats, nonprofits, entrepreneurs, families, and individuals. Our immigration lawyers in New York City have represented and litigated thousands of cases throughout the country. Our Senior Partner, Andrew P. Johnson, was a government prosecutor until he started the immigration law firm in 1999. He has authored numerous articles on immigration and international matters which have been published by the American Bar Association and the American Immigration Lawyers Association. In 2013, Andrew P. Johnson was invited to speak to over 30 United Nation Ambassadors regarding the EB-5 visa investor program. In 2015, Mr. Johnson was invited to Washington DC to speak to over 40 United States Ambassador about the EB-5 investment program. Immigration lawyer Andrew P Johnson has been featured in the New York Times, interview by CBS, quoted by USA Today, Fox News, Washington Times, ABC, Indian Post, Associated Press, Radio Free America, Boston Globe, Chicago Sun-Times, along with over 50 other periodicals around the country.

Does the new Senate Immigration Bill change investor visas? (Part 2)

Along with previous blogs regarding new investor visas, the Senate Bill creates a retirement visa for applicants who are over 55, do not work, purchase a home over $500,000, and have health insurance.

The applicant cannot work while in the United States. For Canadian Citizens, there is a retire visa that allows a person to stay in the United States for up to 240 days. We can only assume the requirement of “not working” means that the retirement visa holder cannot be on any payroll from a United States Company. We can assume that the non-immigrant retirement visa allow passive income in the United States such as stocks, bonds, and real estate investments. The US CIS will still need to clarify issues such as the length of the non-immigrant visa, what level of Health Insurance is required, and what percentage of ownership is needed in the purchase of the $500,000 home.

The bill creates a Canadian retiree tourist visa that will allow Canadians over age 55 with a residence in Canada to enter the United States for up to 240 days. This visa makes sense as Canadian Citizens over the age of 55 rarely over stay their visa in the United States. We wish that the Senate made the temporary visa a full twelve or 18 months since the Canadian Citizen would spend money in the United States while visiting. Moreover, we hope the US CIS can make this new visa easy to obtain at the border similar to the TN visa presently available for Canadian Citizens.

The Law Offices of Andrew P. Johnson is located in the Financial District of New York City and can be reached by phone at 212 693-3355 or by email at apjlaw@gmail.com if you have any questions.



Does the new Senate Immigration Bill change investor visas? (Part 1)

The new Senate Bill does not change the present E-1 and E-2 Treaty Trader visas and there is no change to the EB-5 investor visa program. There was a proposal to increase the required investment from $500,000 to $875,000 for Regional Centers, but that proposal did not end up in the final Senate Bill 744.

Continue reading

I would say the chances of the Bill passing into law before 2014 are 50/50. To show my age, I’m quoting the Music Man, “Ya got trouble in River City.” In this case, “Ya got trouble in the House of Representatives.” The House is different than the Senate and much more susceptible to public opinion.

Continue reading

Unlike the new Senate Bill, this is very simple. Based on the recent Supreme Court Ruling. If a gay U.S. citizen marries their spouse in any state which allows gay marriage, the Spouse can immediately file for a Green Card.

Continue reading

New York Office

65 Broadway Suite 1603
New York, New York 10006

Andrew P. Johnson - Immigration Lawyer